Friday 14 June 2024

Family and e-Waste: Park Holme to Melrose Park

Getting rid of e-waste put me on a collision course with two of the disadvantages of going car-free:

  • Not being able to carry bulky and heavy items.
  • No direct route to a depot poorly served by public transport.

... Which means being super organised to take advantage of opportunities,

... Like, in my case, the opportunity in the form of a visiting cousin who had driven over from interstate.

All my ducks were in a row: tenants' broken toasters, vacuums, televisions (3!), ready to jam in her car for a 10 minute trip to the drop-off point, which I knew to be open because I Google.


Before you ask, hard rubbish won't take televisions and while they do take other e-waste, I'd used up my allotment getting rid of other tenant trash.

Do these limitations make me wish I had a car?

The thing is, if I did, I wouldn't be so organised. Having owned a car before, I know I'd abuse the flexibility by making several trips as I discovered each pocket of tenant e-hoarding, rather than comprehensively going through every cupboard and assembling it all in one place for a single trip. 

Cars give you flexibility, but you pay for it.

I'm too much of a deadbeat to spring for petrol, but I did give her a pastry maker, still in the box, for her troubles.

Were I more organised, I could have given her a brand new sewing machine too. I only discovered that little tenant dropping later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Planes, Trains

Public transport airport transfers in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide: Not 'there' yet, but getting better. The big complai...